There are many different ways to treat sciatica and you will need to try all types of sciatica treatments before you opt for sciatica surgery. Sciatica is the type of condition that causes severe pain throughout your sciatic nerve. This will cause shooting pain throughout your lower back and down your leg. This pain is caused by extreme pressure on your sciatic nerve and can be caused for a number for of reasons. For example, if you have a bulging or herniated disc, then you may have sciatic pain that won’t go away until you have found the ways to relieve the pressure on your nerve.
There are many ways to treat sciatic pain. First, you will want to meet with the right neurosurgeon that can help you go over your treatment options so that you can try everything that you need before you opt for surgery. You will want to try exercise and various exercises that will help to relieve the pain in your sciatic nerve. You will also want to try other methods such as chiropractic care and manipulations. You can also try acupuncture, yoga and massage as other sciatica treatment options.
However, there are times that you will want to consider getting surgery for your sciatica pain. Listed here are some of the signs that it is time for sciatica surgery:
- You have had the pain for 4-6 weeks. If you have had the pain for over four weeks that has been persistent and annoying, then you will want to seek out your surgical options if you have tried all other options already.
- You have severe leg pain that has been persistent. If you have had persistent pain in your leg that is shooting down your leg, then you will want to consider surgery if the pain has lasted longer than four weeks.
- It isn’t relieved by other efforts. If you have tried all other treatment efforts, then you will want to consider getting sciatica surgery for your treatment as you need to live a pain free life!
- You cannot participate in everyday activities. If your pain is so great that you cannot participate in everyday activities, then you will also want to consider getting sciatica surgery.
- It is your last option. If you have tried all other measures and still cannot perform your normal activities, then you will need to consider getting back surgery.
As you can see, there are set periods of your pain and treatment when it is time for sciatica surgery. Often times, your pain can be relieved by other methods and surgery will not be needed. However, you will want to work with a team of experts in order to find out all of your treatment methods while also determining which types of treatments will work best for you before surgery. The best way to do this is to meet with a neurosurgeon that can help you treat your sciatica in non surgical manners.
If you want to learn more about sciatica treatments, then you can reach out to the neurosurgeons over at Boulder Neurosurgical and Spine Associates.