Getting started on a kitchen remodeling job is not easy. It takes time to get the work done, which means many times not having use to your kitchen space. This is why it is vital to hire the right people to help you with this type of remodeling. Not everyone knows how to do this, however, so it is important to have an idea of what to look for and what things are warning signs that you have hired the wrong person. We have some signs to look for that can tell you if you need a new contractor.
- Uses P.O. Box Address: If the contractor you are considering only uses a P.O. box address as their business address, this can be a problem. You need to have an actual physical address if you run a contracting business. A contractor that does not have one is not legitimate and should not be hired.
- No Licenses: You cannot hire someone who does not have a license. Some people claim they are contractors because they have an occupational license, but this is not what you want, either. An occupational license is needed for tax purposes, but the contractor has to also have a State Residential Building license. If they do not, then you need to hire someone else. \
- Asks for Cash Upfront: This is probably the largest warning sign that there is something wrong with the contractor you are considering. You never want to pay for the entire job upfront because you run the risk of the contractor running off with your money without doing the work. If you are asked to pay only in cash, this could also mean that they are not planning on paying taxes, which can be a serious problem. You cannot trust a kitchen contractor who does this.
- Has Leftover Materials: This could mean a number of different things. A contractor who has leftover materials from previous jobs could be someone who did not actually finish the previous job. It could also mean that they took the material from the job site, which can also be an issue.
- Asks You for Permits: Building permits are the responsibility of the contractor to obtain. This should not fall to you. If the contractor you are considering is asking this from you, you really need to consider hiring someone else. This is probably not a legitimate business they are running.
- No Insurance: This is the most important sign to consider. A contractor without insurance could seriously cost you a fortune. If any accidents or damage to your property occur, you will be forced to pay for the repairs.
Take the time to consider contractors and do some research before hiring anyone. A company like Evoke Custom Builders can provide the right kind of people to help fix up your kitchen and any other part of your home. Look for signs that the people you are considering are legitimate and that they offer high quality services at all times and for everyone.